Thursday, June 2, 2011

Oh, the Plywood Rack

So, I had a "flames" stage. Well, actually I still have it.

This is a plywood rack I had in a past shop. The sheets were stacked sideways, on edge and sat on small, maple rails to protect the finish on the rack. I also installed a small "nook" that allowed me to get a hand under the edge of a sheet allowing me to lift it out. Two big drawers finished it off.

The finish: The finish is shellac. I shot a clear coat over the whole of the top to get things rolling. Next, the flames around the center were taped off and masked. Finally, I dyed the topcoat with an alcohol-based dye in the shellac itself. I shot the red, removed the flame mask and shot a few final coats of clear over the whole thing.

Pretty snazzy, eh?




No comments:

Post a Comment