Thursday, June 2, 2011

Flatbeds, Fiberglass and Hi-Fidelity

Delilah the Toyota...

This was my work truck for a few years. I got sick of climbing through a cap (topper, canopy or shell) to get to tools and decided to build this work bed. It is a simple flatbed out of 2x3 and 2x2 square tube steel. The area of the rack above the cab had an expanded-metal floor allowing tools and supplies to be strapped down. The big tube was great for carrying corner-bead and small trim as well as all my broom handles.

The bed itself was oak with a Spar-Urethane finish. The truck boxes were big and expensive. I even welded a huge truck box that could attach to, and be supported by, my trailer hitch receiver. This box was so big, I could carry a chop-saw and portable table saw inside and had it's own brake lights. Man, I was so organized back then!

I repainted the whole truck (man, it was nice to have a paint booth) and started on the stereo....

The stereo in this truck was not the best I have ever done, but it could hold it's own. The subwoofer box is obviously the highlight here and shows, if I do say so myself, my fabulous fiberglass work. The box is MDF, hand-layed fiberglass, Bondo and a whole lot of sanding. The finish is not buffed out, I want to add. The paint you see is single-stage with no clear coat. Not a single drop of buffing compound has ever touched it. What you see is what came outta the gun --and the gun was a $75 Sata rip-off. Can I shoot paint or what?










No comments:

Post a Comment