Thursday, June 2, 2011

The Desk for the Ham Radio Guy

In real life, I have been a trim carpenter, cabinet-guy and Cabinet Maker for the last 12 or so years. Once in a while a good one comes by. This is a desk area I did for a very well-to-do Ham radio guy. The first step was to bump-out the back wall to allow the installation of (4) 4" PVC tubes vertically inside the wall. Each tube had a "Y" fitting just above the level of the eventual shelves. These were later covered with grommets and allowed said homeowner to run all the wires he needed between shelves, into the attic and into the basement --and of course, out to his huge antenna. (No zip-ties or spaghetti here)

The whole job was done in Poplar (for all the painted parts) and African Mahogany for the woodwork. I milled a fabricated each and every piece you see, including the curvy bits and all the individual pieces of bead-board that make up the back and side walls. I also designed this whole thing.

The finish is a hand-rubbed tung oil. The paint is just good ol' latex and the flooring is Ash with a pickled stain and poly.

The goal here was to make something that looked like the wheelhouse of a boat, including a hinged box with a lid to hold "charts" ...and after my homeowner gave me some of the brass accessories to add, I think it fits the bill.







2 comments:

  1. Hey, Chris!
    Gorgeous desk! I used to have a writing desk that I loved. Well, now I've got, kind of an office-laboratory - uhh, that should be: lab-OR-a-tory! Bwahahaah! It has a really nice table and chair set, though. I don't know what kind of wood they are.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Meant to say, that, we met at your job; I'm the guy restoring the guitar. Anyway I can upload a photo here?

    ReplyDelete